Wearing my heart on my wrist

I am a hoarder of jewelry. It's almost a bad thing when I receive jewelry as I always invest the pieces with the value of the relationship the gift giver & I have. So a cheap plastic blue heart necklace saying friend will hold more meaning for me than a random gift exchange pair of fancy earrings. I fret when I lose meaningful pieces and tend to wear two necklaces at a time as I usually have my mom's cross tucked under my top while wearing something else. It's how I roll.

In fact, I have so many of my mom's old necklaces that I don't know what to with them. Most of them are chunky beads necklaces popular in the nineties in all shades of colors that matched her bright skirts & shirts. They are not me. I can't get away with the colorful display my bright and artistic mother could.

So when a chance break in my son's stress bracelet took us to Michael's and after my crafty darling talked me into $75 dollars worth of beading supplies that he had to have, I started pulling out my mom's necklaces in a desperate attempt to keep up with the flow of his creative endeavors. And I began making bracelets alongside him. It was fun. Even when I had to weather the stormy petulance of his frustrations every time he dropped the beads.
 But I also found a new way to carry my memories of my mom around.  I took her heavy, beaded necklaces and restrung them into bracelets I can wear and think of her. I even added lava beads that I know are for essential oils but I put a drop of her perfume on them. Now I can calm myself down with a whiff of her scent and the beauty of her jewelry. I now wear my love for my mom on my wrist. And I can share that love and a creative project she would have approved of with my son.

I just wish I could find a picture of her wearing the necklace or had even taken a picture of the necklace but here is the bracelet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

View from a teacher's brain and heart: Reactions during the Corona Crisis

I know there are several posts like this out there. But for my own piece of mind, I had to share this and get my two cents out there.     ...