Snorkel for Serenity

     I have discovered the key to peace in the pool, and it's only $16.99 at Target. Yes, for this measly sum, you too can muffle those cries of "look at me" or "Mom, watch this". Just strap on the ultra-sexy plastic mask and wrap your mouth over the large plastic snorkel. Not only will it make you look like one of the taller Minions, you get to sound like Darth Vader.
     Let me tell you from personal experience, it is so totally worth the strapped down hair and mask rings. Just stick your head under the water leaving all your stress above the surface. Down below where the water kindly silences all sounds except the gentle swish of the water, you will discover serenity.
     There is magic in watching your hands glide in front of you caressing the water. Like being a mermaid, a childhood fantasy, of being carefree, daughter of the waves. I always thought Ariel was a little crazy and her world looked more fun.
     Maybe its a memory of the womb, a safeness in being encompassed by the water, it's velvety liquid surrounding you. It makes me feel free, flowing with the water.
     I watch the bubbles the kids make as they dive under to wave and mouth words at me, my own mute button. But they are more playful like benign seals when I'm underwater. The sun plays around their legs making their skin look smoother. The light draws circles in the cerulean blue shades thrown on the bottom of my pool.
     All I need are some plastic fish and kelp, and I can imagine myself in Hawaii, lazy with vacationing, enjoying the beauty of nature. It's amazing how just swimming in circles around my backyard pool with my head under water can transform me into a tense, nagging shrew of a mother to a calm, quiet goddess of the sea.
    My kids don't even bother me much except to dive under themselves. They seem to know that this makes mom happy to swim in circles like a lycra'd goldfish. We are all transformed. The world itself becomes hushed and beautiful, a different perspective, looking at the sky from underneath the water. It's like the water itself cleans the air, the trees, even your children. Complete bliss!
     I highly encourage any mom with a backyard pool or access to a friend's to try it. Snorkel your cares away. Find your zen under the water. And maybe even get a nice tan on your back. Happy swimming!

No comments:

Post a Comment

View from a teacher's brain and heart: Reactions during the Corona Crisis

I know there are several posts like this out there. But for my own piece of mind, I had to share this and get my two cents out there.     ...